Farmers Bank opened for business on January 2, 1899 in what was called the Racket Store in the Smith block of College Street. Imagine a town whose principal mode of transportation was horse driven – a town with a population of 2,226 people just getting acquainted with electricity (which was offered with the additional option of night service) and the telephone.
Beginning as a state bank in 1899, Farmers Bank was organized as Farmers National Bank in 1900. In 1960, the bank converted to a state charter and changed its name to Farmers Bank and Trust Company. In 1982 to better facilitate expansion into new business areas, Farmers Bank organized United Bancorp, Inc. of Princeton, a one-bank holding company.
Throughout its history, Farmers Bank has continually been innovative by offering its customers the latest banking technology and providing for its personnel. The Bank’s strength is derived from the continued support, loyalty and commitment of our shareholders, customers and staff as Princeton’s only locally owned independent bank. We have two facilities, with the main bank located at 111 West Washington Street and the branch bank on Highway 62 West.